The International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) Sub-Committee on Ship Design and Construction (SDC) held its seventh session at IMO headquarters in London, United Kingdom, from Feb. 3-7, 2020.
The key topics of discussion at SDC 7 were:
- The further development of a mandatory code for the carriage of more than 12 industrial personnel.
- Issues related to subdivision and damage stability, to include the development of requirements for water level detectors on non-bulk cargo ships with multiple holds.
- The finalization of second-generation intact stability criteria.
- The development of guidelines for certain non-SOLAS vessels operating in polar waters.
- The further development of amendments to the International Code on the Enhanced Program of Inspections during Surveys of Bulk Carriers and Oil Tankers, 2019 (ESP Code).
If you would like to read the USCG recap of the 7th session click here.